Monday, March 25, 2013

out of the studio: Hermitage Museum & Gardens

A must see in Norfolk Va is the Hermitage Museum & Gardens. This museum is off the beaten path and tucked back along the Lafayette River in the picturesque neighborhood of Lochhaven. I discovered this museum back in art school when the head of the department got stuck teaching a drawing class over the summer. He decided that if he had to teach all summer then he was going to spend the whole semester teaching outside. So everyday we all met at the museum and while the instructor relaxed by the river reading the latest best seller, we were instructed to draw every tree on site and every architectural detail of the building, not a bad way to spend a summer. It was also a place that my husband and I were considering having a wedding, the grounds are absolutely lovely but it may have hurt our pockets a bit. So here are a few pics taken by Daniel of our rainy winter excursion to the Hermitage, only the grounds, because I have never actually seen the inside except once when I asked to use the restroom during one of those summer drawing classes. One of these days I would like to visit the actual inside.  Perhaps the spring would be a good time to return for another look around.

















1 comment:

  1. The rose on the top is a good catch with the raindrop getting read to drop :)

    These are interesting architecture shots. I like the added elements on the building(s?) and to me the bricks look they are floating in the mortar. Imagine the skill it took to build that! And why have you not been inside the museum, yet? I bet it is has some nice displays! The grounds sure seem beautiful!

    What is on the water... it looks like a lagoon creature!?

    ReplyDelete